Monday, November 19, 2007

Hope

I hesitated for awhile about whether to post these pictures or not, but after some contemplation I decided that I would, for a couple of reasons. One because they speak so deeply to my heart and two because these pictures remind me of a great hope that we have as followers of Christ.

On our way home from Tallahassee, we stopped in Live Oak, where my Papa is buried. My Papa, one of my favorite people in the entire world, who taught me so much about life, struggles, unconditional love, hope and perseverance. In fact, it was only weeks after his death that we found out we were expecting our first child and I remember that sense of longing, wishing he was there to celebrate with me, just as he had at every other moment in my life. Rahul and I just knew that it was a boy and we just knew that he was going to be named after my Papa, George Neil Collins, hence, Collin. (Just as a side note, our second little boy bears the initials G.N. just like my Papa did as well, Griffin Nathanael.) Whenever Rahul and I would drive home from New Orleans we would stop in Live Oak and so Collin has come here several times before. In fact, one of the first times he came and was speaking he said "Papa Collins" without any prompting...
So, on this particular Fall day we stopped with my Gran, my parents and all 3 of my kids. Some might think that these moments are tough and bittersweet, and they are, but there is also such joy in being there. Collin and Griffin were running around and despite my "be still, this is not a place to be jogging, get off of that, don't walk there..." my Gran said, "Annie, that's what Papa would have wanted." And it is- he loved his grandkids more than anything in the world and he enjoyed our laughter and cutting up so much! It made me smile to think of him that way! Collin was reminded of his namesake and we just had a sweet and quiet time reflecting on our memories.






But this time also reminded me of the hope that we have that death is not the end. Romans 6:22-23 says, "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." What an amazing promise! What an awesome God! What joy there is when we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior! What hope!

----------------------------------
Just for old times sake, I thought I would include one of my favorite pictures of me with my Papa.
I think that it's actually one of the last ones that I have and I remember him being so excited about it. I love it because in true Papa style he was taking care of me, sharing his jacket and keeping me warm- yep, in Tallahassee.


Bill and Sarah, this one's just for you!! How many rides did we get at Pioneer Park? Hmm.. countless and priceless!!

6 Comments:

Blogger SouthAsiaRocks said...

Fun Memories :) I wish I could have met him - he seems so cool :) Do you remember riding with us to Tally right after he died and right after we found out about Collin? ONe of those seminary memories I won't forget.

9:25 AM

 
Blogger The Agarwals said...

I do remember that, just like it was yesterday. I remember this little cooler that Rahul had packed for me with all these veggies and stuff to keep me and baby healthy and I was just like "yuck!!" I remember stopping at that random house to have dinner with you guys and some of your friends and trying to get up the courage to eat Ranch Dressing- which made me so sick when I was pregnant with Collin. And I remember that again, I was dealing with the loss of someone so special and you guys were amazing! Definitely one of those memories I'll never forget either and one of those times when your friendship touched my heart more than you'll ever know! Ahhh... I love you guys!

9:40 AM

 
Blogger The Agarwals said...

You know what I also remember- your parents! Every trip we made to visit my Papa during those last months we ended up staying with them either coming down or going back to New Orleans. I remember how encouraging and comforting they were and how good it felt to get a hug from them! Ahh... I love them too! :-)

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The golf cart ride was what you all waited for...Papa would have loved Collin, Griffin and Eden... imagine all the fun you all had..

10:04 AM

 
Blogger SouthAsiaRocks said...

oh yeah, I forgot you stayed with my parents :) I can't remember who we had dinner with that one trip... hmm... I dont' think all of my brain cells are back to normal yet :)
We love you guys and miss you!!

10:16 PM

 
Blogger Heather Henderson said...

Well, now that I am crying my eyes out, I want to thank you for that one. It was one of my favorites.

10:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home